4/26/16

It's Time to De-Clutter... Now!

I don’t know about you, but I’m sick of clutter.

My house has become a playground, and my husband is a hoarder.  Every drawer, cabinet, cubby, and hiding place is packed full with junk. Our main closet doesn’t even have clothes in it, and instead it has a filing cabinet and baseball cards.  Our dresser drawers are filled with old books, arts and crafts supplies, old tax documents, purses and accessories, and again, baseball cards. The basement closets downstairs are packed full with golf clubs, board games, video game accessories, Christmas trees, and yet again, more baseball cards. And then don’t even get me started on the storage/laundry room!


I. Have. Had it! I’m done. Someone has to win, and it’s going to be me or the house. I can’t live like this anymore.

I’ve started with the kitchen already. I went through half of it, throwing away useless stuff and boxing up the other junk for a garage sale down the road. I stood there this morning, lust looking at my kitchen project, and even after everything I had done last night, it still looks cluttered.

You know the saying “cleanliness is close to Godliness?” Well I think I also heard something somewhere about how living a simple life is the best way to live a holy life. Less distractions I guess.

Here is my dilemma……

I don’t care to discard of any of my kids' toys, in fear of them wishing I hadn’t. I know, they probably won’t even know that it’s missing, but what if Alice wants to stack cups one day? Or play with the blocks again? If they’re gone, maybe she will be really sad; which would make me really sad.

And then, I know I haven’t used the waffle iron in five years, but what if I want to try that tater tot recipe I keep seeing on Facebook? What if I decide to make quesadillas again and I don’t have my easy quesadilla maker? I spent $500 on a frivolous electric do-it-all skillet thing… I can’t throw that out, right?! Ugh. What’s a girl to do?!?!?!

As for clothes, have you seen the outfits I usually wear? It’s pretty much the same 8 outfit rotation. I do have other clothes, that I don’t really wear, but what if I get sick of my usual 8 outfits? If I donate all of the clothes that never see the light of day, then I wouldn’t have anything to swap out for. Right? RIGHT?!?!?!

I’ve decided to go at this full force. Useless items that are of no value to anyone will go in the trash, anything that I don’t think will sell at a garage sale will go to Goodwill (or something similar), and then everything else will be in a garage sale in the near future. I’d like to get this done as soon as possible, so I will be tackling junk drawer after junk drawer.


To the Bat Cave!

I will let you all know how my binge clean-out goes. In the meantime, do you have any advice?


*Clipart courtesy of worldatrsme and wordpress.

No comments:

Post a Comment