7/5/12

Is There An End In Sight?

We all know that once you get pregnant, the baby has to come out eventually, right? I hate to say it, but some days I wonder.


I went to my 38 week check on Tuesday, July 3rd. We had an ultrasound done right away, and here's what we learned:

- Baby is the same sex as before. Ha ha, I thought the sex might have been wrong the first time around and all the clothes we bought and washed would have been off. But no, it's the same. :-)

- Baby has 2 legs, feet and toes. Yes, I'm going to count every finger and toe when baby is out.

- Baby has at least one arm, hand and fingers. Because of the way they were laying we couldn't see the other ones.

- Baby has giant chubby cheeks. The ultrasound lady kept talking about how big the cheeks were. Lol. I can't wait to squeeze them!

- There IS only one baby. My family has a history of "hiding twins," but not for me. Everyone thought for sure there would be like 5 in there because my Mom and Dad are both twins, but not this time around. Maybe next time. :-)  *Yes, it should have been me because the generation it skipped was theirs. Meaning, my grandmas had twins, my parents didn't/shouldn't, so it was my turn.

- Baby has hair. She didn't say how much exactly though. And, we couldn't get the top of the baby's head because it was in my pelvis, so all we got was the back, and unless our little one only has a ring of hair like George Castanza, there will be some hair right away.

- Lastly, the baby's weight. Baby is at 8 lbs, 6 oz. That is just an estimate by the measurements they could take. So, it's a give/take of 1 lb, 4 oz. With that bit of info, our baby could be at 9 lbs, 10 oz! Yowza! And keep in mind that every day the baby grows more!

After the Ultrasound we sat in with the doctor. As far as my check went, I'm still at 4cm and 80%. Pelvis has still not budged. She asked me if I was ready to go now. I said yes, I'm dying to go now, so then she asked when I wanted to schedule something. I paused, I stumbled, and I said that I still wanted to go on my own. I know, crazy, right?

I started to think that since the baby couldn't drop much b/c of my narrow pelvic opening that maybe that's why I hadn't gone into labor yet. But the doctor assured me that it's not necessarily the baby's position, but hormones and body "balance" that will make me finally go. With that said, we have decided on the 16th - 2 days past my due date.

I really want to go into labor on my own. I want to experience the whole enchilada. The whole sche-bang. In my daydreams I can see me calling Gene at work and telling him it's time, he rushes home, loads the bags and car seat, and we head off on our adventure. This is ideal to me. Now, if it's past my due date, I'm sure I will be ready to be induced if needed, but for the time being, I thought I'd leave it alone.

Since I've made that decision I've been less miserable. In a way, anyway. I feel like it's on my terms now. There's nothing wrong with baby to need to go right away, so why not wait it out. Why not let nature take it's course.

So, here I sit. Typing. Waiting. Working. Waiting. Eating. Waiting.

1 week, 1 day until due date. Think good thoughts for me to go into labor. :-)

Jenni

1 comment:

  1. Glad you have a date set! What happened to the olden days when people would be like, "oh no, my water broke!" Seems like that never happens any more. Good luck lady!

    ReplyDelete