6/11/12

More Baby Showers

This past Friday (June 8th) was our Jean and Lunch day at work. Well low and behold lunch turned out to be a surprise baby shower for me. I was so embarrassed. I stood there shocked and silent, staring at my feet, with tears in my eyes. Thank goodness someone cracked a joke and we all started eating otherwise who knows how long it would have lasted like that.

I got a lot of great gifts! I'm grateful b/c I got some things that I don't think I would have gotten if they hadn't thrown it for me. Gene got the diaper bag he really wanted (it looks like a briefcase so it shouldn't be too embarrassing for him), Helen made, yes MADE us a scrapbook for our baby so that we only need to tape the pictures in there and it will look professional, Linda gave us a complete animal themed health care set, Jen Knight I think organized collecting money and shopping for the large group, and Trishia home-made a Baby Brink cake and decorated the room too. Everyone did a great job keeping it a surprise and making it a great day. Again, I couldn't appreciate it more, it was so wonderful!





Sunday (June 10th) was my family baby shower and Gene's family diaper party. Now, my mom is not a party hostess really. I mean, she's great at being hospitable, and when it's just some people coming over for cards she can put out a spread, but a whole party? She was lost. I had to help her out a lot - which I don't mind at all because I love, love, LOVE to throw parties, but I wanted to be sure nobody knew how I helped out... that was definitely not the case. Oh well, it was fun anyway.

Dad also had no idea how to handle the diaper party. Poor Gene walked outside, said hello to everyone, and then stood there by himself for 10 minutes before people started talking to him. My Dad likes to be the center of attention a lot, so he was keeping the conversation held on him for a while, and let's face it, Gene is not a very social person anyway.

It ended up being a better turn-out than expected as a bunch didn't RSVP, so we were pleasantly surprised. And the food was great! I got lots of compliments on my chicken salad, and a couple asked for Ben's Mom's macaroni salad recipe. Our veggie cups seemed to be a hit too! I enjoyed myself, and I ate a lot. By the end of it all, I was so exhausted. I went to bed at 9pm last night and slept until 7am this morning (except for bathroom breaks of course).

A funny thing that happened: Of course everyone asks a million questions at these things, one being if I am planning on having more. I answered them by saying "After my recovery time, and after I have a month or two of not being pregnant, we may start trying again." My mom was shocked. Her jaw dropped. Like I mentioned in a previous blog, she didn't really want grandchildren, so I think she was thinking that the one was it. But, Gene and I were both only children, and to this day we wish we had siblings so we figured we wouldn't give our child that longing feeling either. It's hard being the only one, but both my parents come from huge families, so I'm assuming they didn't want that chaos for me.




Now that the showers are all over, I am going to really work on the baby's room and get a few things that we didn't get and will need before Baby Brink is here. I'm excited to say that it's only 4 weeks and a few days until due date! I know it's going to be hard work, and my body will be put through hell, but I'm ready for it all.

I just keep picturing Gene holding our baby, and no other thought could be sweeter.

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment